Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
29.03.24 at 15:10:34
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter Motor problem (Read 1078 times)
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Bike: TR1 & Vincent Rapide
Starter Motor problem
05.08.20 at 14:06:47

Hello Everyone

I hope there is someone out there who can help and you are not all riding around Europe enjoying yourselves. (I am only jealous.  Smiley)

I have a problem. I know this is a common problem but when I search the Forum history I have to use the translator tool and that doesn't translate the technical language well.

When I press the starter button I get a loud clacking sound from the starter relay. The battery is good and fully charged. I removed the ally cover from the starter relay mechanism. I can see that the relay is working. It energises and pulls out the rod which should engage the starter cogs. But the rod remains pulled out. See photo. Then the relay releases and energises again, hence the clacking sound.

So is the rod remaining out because the starter gears are sticking or is the starter motor simply not spinning. Or something entirely different?

Any advice would help and save time before I start stripping the engine.

Thank you
Kevin

image001_003.jpg   image002_001.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

image001_003.jpg
image002_001.jpg

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
ernie8
TR1 Board Senior Member

Bike: TR1 beinahe original, RD 250
Re: Starter Motor problem
Reply #1 - 05.08.20 at 16:26:09

Hi Kevin,
I would assume it's the solenoid. Many years ago I had a similar issue, the solenoid did not go back once engaged. However, my experience was that the starter started to spin, and it did not stop spinning. I had to disconnect the battery in a hurry to stop the engine turning.
Whatever the issue is at the end, whether it's the Solenoid or sticking gears, you have to disassemble the left side cover anyway. If the gears are the problem you should see immediatly. If' it's the solenoid it will not pull back once the side cover and gears are taken out.

Jürgen

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Reply #2 - 05.08.20 at 16:32:23

Hello Jurgen

It is the solenoid engaging and disengaging that is causing the clacking sound. It is constantly going backwards and forwards. I am fairly sure that the solenoid is OK. The solenoid is on the left of the image as you look at the photo. The rod that is sticking is on  the right. That is the part that engages with the starter motor gear assemblies.

I agree with you that I am going to have to take the engine side cover off to have a look.

Regards
Kevin

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
RichardThe_Geo
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #3 - 08.08.20 at 05:51:54

Are you sure that your battery is of the right Cold-Cranking Amperage rating? If the battery is fully charged but not putting out enough amps to crank the motor through compression, the starter stalls and the solenoid repeatedly cycles making that stacatto clacking noise. Check that the battery is the correct CCA rating before stripping stuff down.
Cheers, Richard

Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Reply #4 - 08.11.20 at 19:14:20

I just noted I had not closed this thread with the solution.
The problem was the rectifier. It had destroyed a battery which I had replaced with a new one. In short order it destroyed that battery too. There was enough current in the battery to energise the starter relay but not enough to turn the motor.
I replaced the battery then the starter and relay worked correctly. Luckily I checked the output from the rectifier before it destroyed this battery too. Battery voltage was 13.2v with the motor running the output from the rectifier was 13.3v, not enough. I replaced the rectifier and the output voltage, with the engine running, is 13.9v. That is enough to recharge the battery.
So if your starter relay is engaging but not turning the motor check the battery. Then check that the rectifier is functioning properly to avoid damaging another battery.
We all learn through our errors.
Stay safe and I hope to meet you all again in Holland next year.
Kevin

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print