Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
29.03.24 at 14:15:23
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
[Buying a Used] - Things to look for. (Read 3552 times)
Kroete
Ex Member

Re: [Buying a Used] - Things to look for.
Reply #30 - 18.02.23 at 12:49:03

Yes, I can do it for you. Its not so far from my home.

Top of page
  IP Logged
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Bike: xv250
Reply #31 - 18.02.23 at 12:51:10

He must remember me, let me know either here or via personal message.

Maybe someone from Germany can explain to them and then it will be OK.

I am willing to disclose any personal information and identification to convince that I am not trying to scam anyone.

Regards,
Evros

Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
hornschorsch
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Bike: TR1, SR500, XJ650-Turbo, RD350-YPVS, R[DG]500
Reply #32 - 26.02.23 at 16:39:28

What did the seller say? When will the shipping company fetch the bike? Or is this after all just a scam?

Gruss,
Schorsch

Fahrt so schnell ihr könnt, so lange ihr noch könnt!
(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Kroete
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 26.02.23 at 17:14:13

Evros ist ein sehr netter Kerl.

Solche Unterstellungen hat er wahrlich nicht verdient!

Erstaunlich sind aber Verkäufer, die sich nicht melden!

Top of page
  IP Logged
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #34 - 26.02.23 at 17:44:04

Hi all,

Kroete, thank you for your kind words.

In summary:

1. DKProjectTR1 has a son whos is selling a bike on kleinanzeigen. I have sent him a message on this forum and he did not respond any further. The moderators have the permission to go in my private messages and check.

2. I have sent DKProjectTR1's son a message on kleinanzeigen multiple times and he has not repsonded. Kroete has also done this for me and got no response either.

3. I have exhanged emails and whatsapp/viber messages with popeye who is selling a lovely first gen tr1 with many mods from Sepp, thus reliable. We had a good conversation with popeye and he sent me many pictures and videos. I told him that I would like to wait until I can find a good second gen without mods (his has some mods like exhaust, brakes, handlebars). Also I do not want to ask him to lower his price because he is very nice so I'd rather wait a bit longer.

To all the people I have contacted I have offered any means they want to convince them. Popeye has also suggested a vergy good process on doing this that if I proceed.

Best Regards to all,
Evros

Top of page
hornschorsch

Reply #35 - 27.02.23 at 10:20:51

If you try a bit harder you can possibly talk or post a TR1 from germany to cyprus. Otherwise you have to take the money, travel to popeye and buy the bike from him. The first generation TR1 is nicer than the second gen with the fast plastic back and if popeyes bike has the needed technical modifications it will be a good choice. So if you really want a TR1, go and buy it.

Quote:
Popeye has also suggested a vergy good process on doing this

This process works as follows: Sit down at the kitchen table, sign a buying contract, pay the bike with real money, receive the papers and keys, go home with the bike.

« Last Edit: 27.02.23 at 12:06:26 by hornschorsch »  

Gruss,
Schorsch

(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
hornschorsch

Reply #36 - 27.02.23 at 10:25:25

Quote from Kroete on 26.02.23 at 17:14:13:
Erstaunlich sind aber Verkäufer, die sich nicht melden!

Es steht jedem frei mit wem er Geschäfte machen will.

Gruss,
Schorsch

(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
Kroete
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 27.02.23 at 20:40:22

Klar, es steht auch jedem frei, sich anständig zu verhalten oder auch nicht.

Beides hat Konsequenzen.

Top of page
  IP Logged
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #38 - 27.02.23 at 20:44:39

Yes Popeye's TR1 is a good example and well-maintained. It has some nice bits that are not original and not to my taste such as

1. non-adjustable monoshock from wirth (still nice)
2. non-original exhaust headers (stainless yes, but still not the double-walled original and also no mandrell bends but welded elbow joints that I hate),
3. non-original paintwork with pinstripes (I hate pinstripes),
4. Yamaha and TR1 decals are missing,
5. front brake conversion from other yamaha (still good but unknown source, how am I going to get replacements?)

also like I said it is gen 1 and I will go for a gen 2 in a heartbeat. This is a nice example and I do not want to break anyones heart by asking them to lower the price. Popeye wants 4000 EUR for it and I will not haggle as I respect people, fair enough. I know these go for at least 1000 eur less and in more original conditions, admittedly not as maintained. I have seen posts on this forum, mobile.de and kleinanzeigen. HaraldS sold one some time ago and I was in touch with him from kleinanzeigen. That was a perfect example.

From Hamburg it will cost me 980 EUR for the shipping company to pick up and deliver to the Limassol port. 4980 EUR plus registration costs, etc. is a touch expensive for this bike. 3.5-4k is fine but 5k+ is beyond the phsychological barrier of my wallet so I'de rather wait for at least a better example.

Thank you all for your help and I would appreciate to divert any future advertisements or interested parties and anyone who would like to sell towards my person and we will work something out in a legal and respected manner.

Evripidis Karseras

Top of page
Triwinger
TR1 Board Junior Member

Reply #39 - 28.02.23 at 01:39:52

Hi all,

dear Evros, I understand you are looking for a bike that gives you kind of a "love at first sight" feeling. (This was at least what I hoped to feel when I started to look for interesting old motorbikes and beginning to build up my little private classic bike collection.) Furthermore, your favorite model is a 2nd generation TR1. And therefore, a 1st gen bike most probably won't be able to give you the "Yes, I want it" feeling. I appreciate your interest and sympathy for the TR1 bike. And I believe you: To me, you seem to be seriously interested in buying such a bike. So you will organize everything around the deal in a way that is absolutely fair and okay for the seller. This is why I would like to support you if I can.

So, first of all, let me report you some of my experiences when establishing my little classic bike collection and buying old motorbikes from far away.

I live in the northern part of Germany (near to Hamburg). In 2016, I bought a Yamaha XS 850 bike via Ebay. The seller was located in the southern part of Germany (Bavaria, 650 km away from my home). On Ebay, the bike had been described by the seller as "in fine condition, perfectly running and very reliable" with a full technical service "shortly ago". And the photos looked fine to me, too: The bavarian collector owned not only the Yamaha triple, but also about seven other fine looking dream bikes of the 70ies and 80ies - plus a convertible sports car (Alfa Romeo). So, to me all that looked as if I could be confident: "He is a reliable guy. He has enough money and technical knowledge to maintain his bikes properly, and has in fact given them the total loving care that they need."

So, optimistic as I am, I went to Bavaria by train (one-way ticket) to get "my new and shiny bike" and ride it home proudly on a sunny spring sunday. But my journey ended early: After 60 kms only, the fine triple engine stopped running in an impressively dark bavarian forest. The battery had no juice anymore. The root cause of that was a heavily corroded/burnt connector between alternator and rectifier. Therefore, the bike was absolutely unable to charge the battery. I am completely sure that the seller knew about that issue before giving the bike to me, because the photos in his Ebay offer showed the XS 850 constantly connected to a battery charger. And of course, either the rest of the bike was not as good as the photos had made be believe: Dead battery, rust on frame tubes and battery fixation bracket, brake fluid color "something between brown and black" with some kind of thick "honey material" in the brake cylinders, rusty brake pistons - and so far and so on. No, this was not at all a "well serviced beauty".

I experienced the same before in 2015 when buying my green 1st gen TR1: The seller (located in Saxony-Anhalt, 350 km from my home) seemed to be a reliable guy. He honestly told me about the dead battery and the worn out steering head bearings. But after having taken the TR1 home by trailer, I found some more "hidden issues":

• carburetor and starter with broken cast housings, nevertheless remounted again by some ruthless person (not necessarily the seller)
  • rust hole in the left muffler (The usual area, down at the front tip. Welded already, but broken again)
  • electrics not working (cable harness modified in a dubious "DIY style", rear indicators and horn without function)
  • and so on.

And 2018, when I bought a little 80 ccm two-stroke Honda MT8 in the Netherlands, it was the same experience again:

• seller was a collector and an expert for those little Honda bikes ("brommers", as they call them in the Netherlands)
  • bike in original condition, looking absolutely fine on the photos, but...
  • battery missing
  • electrics completely without function, cable harness corroded
  • broken spokes in rear wheel
  • worn chainset
  • old tires ("wood instead of rubber")
  • speedo cable missing (-> mileage obviously not true)
  • exhaust rusty and with some "creative drilling holes" in it
  • some small parts missing.

Furthermore, when buying the little Honda in the Netherlands, I experienced similar issues to yours when contacting the seller:

• As I'm unfortunately not able to speak Dutch, I wrote him in English. (Which might have made me look as "some of those payment trick artists from Africa"...)
  • In order to proof that I'm reliable, I offered him to send him half of the money in advance and paying the rest cash when visiting him to get the bike.
  • Nevertheless (or maybe just because of my money offer), the seller was very cautious and skeptical: He obviously believed that I was in fact one of the usual spammers. It took me a lot of energy to convince him that I will really visit him to get the bike. (I wanted to avoid that he sells the bike to someone else in the meantime, so that I would make a 2 x 600 km Holland trip just for nothing.)

See part 2...

« Last Edit: 28.02.23 at 13:00:56 by Triwinger »  

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print