Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
29.03.24 at 11:20:51
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket Performance Exhaust for TR-1/XV-920 (Read 18672 times)
Robert Lincoln(Guest)
Ex Member

Aftermarket Performance Exhaust for TR-1/XV-920
26.08.02 at 18:52:00

Hello,
Living in the USA where these bikes are scarce. No aftermarket suppliers. I am looking for aftermarket performance exhaust system. Can anyone recomend a reputable source?

Top of page
  IP Logged
Richard Hathaway(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 30.08.02 at 10:24:00

Hello Robert, I also have a 1981 XV920R and have  been searching for an aftermarket exhaust sestem for my bike. The only store that I have found that carries such a part is A&D auto out of Hanford Ca. The phone # is 559-582-0431, Their address is 102 S. Douty St, Hanford Ca, 93230. Im not sure what they carry however I do know they carry Exhuast sestems. I have not purchased one for my bike yet as I am restoring it. Hope this information helps you on your search, GOOD LUCK with the XV920. Bye.

Top of page
  IP Logged
Bernd Ocic(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 31.08.02 at 20:31:00

Hi Richard,
For about 13 years I have Stainless Steel exhaust pipes (silencers)fitted from A British Company called Gazelle Powerflow.
For the pipes themselves they recommended to come down to Wales for fitting purposes. But the silencers were no problem to fit, few more spacers required and general common sense..
Fit a rubber ring (Stop) over the side stand lever to stop damaging the silencers.

I am fairly happy with them, but there are very loud and were almost on the brink of not getting accepted here with the TÜV.
However they have a British Standard Sign...
The company was based in Wales-England somewhere around Cardiff but I havn't got a tlephone number.
If you have sourced them I can send you a picture via mail how they look like on the bike.
Good luck
Bernd

Top of page
  IP Logged
Stephen(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12.09.02 at 22:34:00

I found a used MAC 2-into-1 and have since discovered that the company is still in business.  Check them out at macperformance.com.  The black finish on my pipe has not lasted well, so I'm considering the JetHot coating from another source, not so much for looks as for durability.  Gotta make these things last, as you well know.  The Gazelle website is very informative also, but price and shipping look higher (from Wales) than MAC (from Canada).

Top of page
  IP Logged
Robert Lincoln(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 21.09.02 at 14:26:00

Thanks guys for the response. I was recently at the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Show & Swapmeet in Jefferson, Pennsylvania, USA. There was a guy there who had an XV 920 (TR1) with a Mac exhaust system on it. I listened to it and did not like it's "tinny and raspy" sound. My current exhaust system on my bike is stock except that I removed the mufflers by cutting through the weld seam near the passenger pegs. I then welded on Dunstall replica mufflers in place (I had to shorten the Dunstalls to match diameters). The sound is wonderful. It is deep and throaty. I have been told that it sounds like a combination of a hi-performance Ducati and an H-D XR 750. I may get a total custom system made by a company called Gebler Headers which is close to my work. As for the VJM show; I entered my XV 920 and it won 2nd best Yamaha. I emailed Manfred a photo of my bike to post, but he either never received it or hasn't posted it. Thanks again. Bob.

Top of page
  IP Logged
Ken Schwinghammer(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 25.01.02 at 21:39:00

I have a XV920 RJ with a 2in 1 Mac   ,It sounds good , Northern Leisure in Minnesota may be able to help you 320 252 8127

Top of page
  IP Logged
Darian De Jong(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 14.03.03 at 19:13:00

Robert,
I'm using a picture of your bike as inspiration for my second 920RH restoration project.  One question, did you rechrome the pipes (or area around the weld) on your exhaust modifications?  Any rejetting required and how's the performance - any change?
Darian

Top of page
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print