Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
28.03.24 at 09:50:36
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter solonoid (Read 3014 times)
Kevin Emery(Guest)
Ex Member

Starter solonoid
09.10.02 at 21:32:00

I have a starter problem that is driving me crazy. If I take the starter solonoid out and test it, it works. If I install it in the bike it doesn't.
When I test it I connect a lead from the positive lead of the battery to the spade connector and the negative to the terminal that takes the cable form the starter motor. Th relay will energise and pulls in the operating lever.
The problem might be that I should be able to operate it by connecting the positive to the spade terminal and the negative to the 'case' of the solonoid. If I do that the solonid will not energise.
If I take the two large cables off the solonoid. IE the positive from the battery and the other cable to the starter motor, so the only cable connected is the small cable to the spade connector. If I press the Start button, should the solonoid energise and click?
Can any help please? Starter solonoids are 130 Euro's each and I don't want to buy one just to diagnose the fault.
Regards
Kevin

Top of page
  IP Logged
Lars Sandström(Guest)
Ex Member

Starter solonoid
Reply #1 - 10.10.02 at 09:04:00

I´ve had the same problem and the cure was to take off the end of the starter motor and clean the inside and the collector from old carbon deposits and dust. Then it works again!!
You have to have a good connection through the collector to get current to the solenoid.

Top of page
  IP Logged
Kevin Emery(Guest)
Ex Member

Starter solonoid
Reply #2 - 13.10.02 at 13:00:00

Lars. Thank you the information. You were correct. This does mean that the TR1 electrical drawing is wrong! The drawing shows the eletrical return down to earth via the starter solonoid. The return to earth is actuaaly through the starter motor.
Thanks again for the information. Kevin

Top of page
  IP Logged
Lars Sandström(Guest)
Ex Member

Starter solonoid
Reply #3 - 17.10.02 at 11:27:00

It took me a couple of hours (days) to lokalize the fault...
On my homepage I have a good electrical drawing of the starter.
http://www.buf-online.kristianstad.se/~lars.sandstrom/starter.htm

Top of page
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print