Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
29.03.24 at 15:39:32
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SMOKING, LEAKING OIL, BREATHER QUESTION (Read 5336 times)
simon duval smith(Guest)
Ex Member

SMOKING, LEAKING OIL, BREATHER QUESTION
06.11.04 at 17:58:00

Hello all fellow TR1 guys and girls
Can someone help me please?
I bought a 1981 TR1 with 27,000 (43,000 kilometers) miles on it. The bike had not been used much for a few months before I rode it. For the first 100 miles it was fine, no smoke, no oil leaks. Then it started smoking heavily from the right-hand silencer after a run, sometimes from the left too. Lots of oil leaks, all on the rear cylinder plus the clutch cable/actuating arm cover. Now (1000 miles later) it is pumping oil onto the back tyre out of the chaincase, and has used about 4 liters of oil in 1000 miles. The breather on the front cylinder is clear, there is no breather on the rear cyllinder - should there be one? I have seen pictures of TR1s with a breather on the rear pot and some without. The compression is exactly 150 psi on both cylinders cold test. I have had many bikes but never had one that went into self-destruct so quick! I don't ride it hard, very rarely more than one-third throttle and 4,000 rpm

Top of page
  IP Logged
John(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 07.11.04 at 01:18:00

There is _a_ breather hose from the engine to the air filter box.
If this system is blocked you will get too much crankcase compression and start blowing oil everywhere.
You will also get oil everywhere if you overfill it, possible if the sight glass is misleading you....
Only other source of crank case compression is blow-by of worn or broken rings, 135 psi is book compression, so if you're getting 150 I'm presuming you have added a drop of oil, main thing is both cylinders should show the same comp within 5 lbs
With smoking cylinders my first suspect would be overfilled with oil.
Complete drain and new filter and refill with MEASURED correct amount to eliminate this.
HTH etc
cheers

Top of page
  IP Logged
simon duval smith(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08.11.04 at 16:38:00

Hi John
Yes, thank you. So the level window is not that reliable? Years of fixing bikes and cars etc, and I always look for the worst case scenario and ignore the totally obvious! I will drain and change filtewr and refill with 3.1 liters of 10W/30. Any partuclar oil recommended?
Also the front forks clatter over little bumps, almost like there is something loose. I have changed the fork oil for 250 ml of Rock Oil 20 weight fork oil in each leg (I know it should have a bit more but I got a 500 ml bottle!) but no change. I guess the fork bottoms are worn out and they don't take bushes but could there be something loose or broken inside?
I read somewhere about fitting XJ900 forks but I can't find the web link anymore - any ideas and does this work well?
Thanks for your help
Simon Duval Smith (London)

Top of page
  IP Logged
John(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08.11.04 at 17:32:00

Top of page
  IP Logged
simonduvalsmith@hotmail.com(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08.11.04 at 22:37:00

Hi John

Thanks for the reply, yes, I will make a dipstick and drain and refill. I had looked at your site before - nice bike.
On the fork front, had only wondered if you had experienced clattering and looseness on small bumps. Or could enlighten me as to how to find the XJ900 fork swap article?
Thanks a lot
Simon

Top of page
  IP Logged
Deek Hayes(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09.11.04 at 18:48:00

Recently changed the rear cylinder head gasket on my '83 tr1. The gasket had been blown into the camchain tunnel causing an increase in crankcase pressure. Maybe you should be thinking about getting the engine out. I've read that front cylinder head gaskets are likely to fail because of the way the engine is suspended in the frame.

Top of page
  IP Logged
simon duval smith(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11.11.04 at 00:29:00

Thanks Deek
The compression is still good - 140 psi in both cylinders, rising to 175 with some oil put in the spark plug hole, so I think the head gaskets are OK, I think maybe I just have too much oil in the engine! I will drain and refill with 3.0 liters and let you all know.
Cheers
Simon

Top of page
  IP Logged
Thomas(Guest)
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11.11.04 at 14:26:00

Hi Simon,
regarding the clattering of the front fork (makes me having a familiar ring...) I found out that the brake calipers of my TR1 are responsible for it.
I guess the guidance is worn out so that the part holding the brake pads can move a little bit.
regards,
Thomas

Top of page
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print