Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
30.04.24 at 23:40:14
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front suspension boots/gaiters (Read 2011 times)
Marshman
Ex Member

Front suspension boots/gaiters
16.03.15 at 13:29:54

While I make my mind up what to do with my XV1000/TR1 in the long term, I have decided to get her back on the road in more or less standard trim.
Unfortunately, over the years it's been in the back of someones shed the fork legs have got a bit pitted, but I've managed to find a breaker with a pair of TR1 legs in reasonably good condition that will do to get it through the MOT test.
To avoid having to rebuild the forks before it was absolutely necessary, I was thinking about fitting some fork gaiters, as this covers a multitude of sins, and seems to be a very common modification, but what ones have people used?
Do any of the BMW ones fit without too many problems? Without breaking out the measuring stick, the K75/100 ones look somewhere near, but thought I'd find out what the people who have already been down this road have to say.
Sadly, meine Deutsch ist kleine (thats as good as it gets!), so didn't know what to try searching for in the sites archives.

Simple questions first ...... Brakes and tyres still to come  Wink

Top of page
  IP Logged
Karl-Heinz
TR1 Board Junior Member

Bike: BMW K 100 RS / TR 1 / RD 400 / BMW K1300S / KTM 690 SMC R
Re: Front suspension boots/gaiters
Reply #1 - 16.03.15 at 14:10:12

Hello Marshman,

the BMW fork gaiters will not fit because the stanchions have a Diameter of slightly more than 41 mm. I use gaiters since 1986 on my TR1 and I bought them at Detlev Louis Shop (Europe’s No.1 in the Motorcycle & Leisure world!  Wink). However, the rubber 30 years ago was very much better than the todays rubber is.

Maybe you can check here: http://www.enduro-versand.com/shop/Gummiteile/GabelfaltenbaElge/ and look for a supplier in your Country.

After that Long time of storage, you may also overhaul the front brake cyclinders and the master brake cylinder (MBC). You may also change the MBC to that one from the Yamaha XJ 600. It will improve the brake power.

Enjoy the work!
Karl-Heinz

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Bike: TR1 & Vincent Rapide
Reply #2 - 16.03.15 at 16:30:04

Hello Marsham

If you are just looking for the standard gaters I have an old pair you can have.

Can you post a picture of what you want, just to make sure I am thinking of the right part? The corrugated rubber sleeve that sits over the chrome part of the fork leg?

Regards
Kevin

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Marshman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 20.03.15 at 08:14:39

Thanks for the info Karl-Heinz, saves me a futile task measuring BMW fork legs.
However have just lost several hours browsing the Louis website instead. We used to have several branches of Hein Gericke in the UK, but they closed down a couple of years ago, perhaps we could have a Detlev's instead.

Kevin, thanks for the offer, I'll send you a personal message.

Top of page
  IP Logged
nanno
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Ich mags halt gern
ned ganz so
original...

Bike: TR1, XT600, SR500-Gespann
Reply #4 - 20.03.15 at 08:57:45

If Louis is not an option, have a look at Wemoto, they should stock the same kind of gaiters.

Cheers,
Greg

Frei ist, wer frei denkt!

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at/
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print