Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
16.04.24 at 10:09:28
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brembo brake upgrade (Read 360 times)
craybait
TR1 Board Newbie

brembo brake upgrade
28.08.22 at 00:26:48

I found a photo hopefully attached of an australian bike [tr1] with brembo 4 pot calipers attached by an aluminium bracket to the standard fork staunchions.
Has anyone done this modification and if so do they have engineering drawings for the brackets.
I have installed new standard disks, rotors, new standard  caliper pots and seals and a yamaha 'tracer' master cylinder . It is aheavy bike
and I would like my bike to  stop  better than it does

tr1_brake.pdf     Picture below may be scaled. Click link or picture for original size Click here for all attachments  

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
nanno
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Ich mags halt gern
ned ganz so
original...

Bike: TR1, XT600, SR500-Gespann
Re: brembo brake upgrade
Reply #1 - 28.08.22 at 17:14:48

I've done similar on old Kawas. One or two words of warning (nobody asked for):

1) You either want floating calipers and a rigid disk or a rigid caliper and floating disks. The setup shown, will have a stupidly hard bite and not brake even remotely as good as it could.
2) The stock calipers (freshly overhauled with new seals and pistons), together with a 14mm master cylinder and braided brake hose allowed me during some riding instructor-tests to be among the top third of in brake performance, only really had to give in to a guy with a 2021 KTM, 4 pots and ABS, who cheated and didn't turn his braking aids off. In comparison to all the others I was a bit less consistent, but my best brake performances matched some of their more average ones.
3) There's floating disks available from EBC, they are expensive, but worth every penny.
4) EBC and some others make proper race compound pads. They eat brake disks alive and you have to get them up to temp by braking once or twice. Then falling not falling on your face with your bike will be the next challenge.

Hope this gives you some ideas - clears out some misconceptions.

Cheers,
Greg

Frei ist, wer frei denkt!

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at/
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
hornschorsch
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Bike: TR1, SR500, XJ650-Turbo, RD350-YPVS, R[DG]500
Re: brembo brake upgrade
Reply #2 - 29.08.22 at 11:12:36

Quote from craybait on 28.08.22 at 00:26:48:
I found a photo hopefully attached of an australian bike [tr1] with brembo 4 pot calipers attached by an aluminium bracket to the standard fork staunchions.

It may brake good but it looks quite ugly...

Quote:
I have installed new standard disks, rotors, new standard  caliper pots and seals and a yamaha 'tracer' master cylinder.

What piston diameter does that master cylinder have? As nanno wrote, the original brake is "good enough" if you fit a master cylinder with a 14mm piston, for example from the XJ600 diversion.

Gruss,
Schorsch

Fahrt so schnell ihr könnt, so lange ihr noch könnt!
(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print