Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
29.04.24 at 05:39:09
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken engine mounting bolt (Read 1527 times)
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Bike: TR1 & Vincent Rapide
Broken engine mounting bolt
30.04.20 at 16:13:26

Hello All

I am suffering from what we call in the UK 'the Corona virus effect'. We are in lock down and I have run out of jobs. Really I have done all the jobs I have wanted to do and am now doing the jobs I have been putting off.

One of my engine mounting bolts has broken off. It is the one that sits through the left hand foot rest plate, just behind the main drive sprocket. The end 10mm of the bolt has broken off and I need to drill and tap the hole. I have started to strip the bike and have two questions:

1. Do I really have to take the engine out? It looks like it. I could use a long drill to remove most of the broken off bolt but I don't have a tap long enough to go through the engine casing.

2. What thread is this bolt? It is a M10 bolt but the thread is finer than a standard 10mm bolt. I have a set of metric taps and the 10mm tap I have is a courser pitch than the bolt. I hope that makes sense?

If anyone knows an easy way to do this please advise.

Thank you
Kevin

Pic_1.jpg   Pic_3.jpg   Pic_2.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

Pic_1.jpg
Pic_3.jpg
Pic_2.jpg

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
ernie8
TR1 Board Senior Member

Bike: TR1 beinahe original, RD 250
Re: Broken engine mounting bolt
Reply #1 - 30.04.20 at 16:41:09

Hi Kevin,
if you want to do a proper Job you have to take out the lower frame.
However, is the rest of the bolt still in the nut? When this happened to me first time, I was able to remove the small rest with a thin long screw driver turning it clockwise to the rear open end, and the thread was clean so I just had to replace the bolt.
Thread is M10 x 1,25, as all M10 bolts at the TR1.

Jürgen

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
hornschorsch
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Bike: TR1, SR500, XJ650-Turbo, RD350-YPVS, R[DG]500
Reply #2 - 30.04.20 at 19:36:43

I once removed the broken off tip of the bolt by putting a piece of 10mm tube into the hole and then drilling with a long 8mm drill through the tube into the bolt-tip. As i hoped the drill got stuck within the tip and screwed it through so that it fell off under the engine. The thread was still good and i just had to mount a new bolt. A friend made it for me at work.

Gruss,
Schorsch

Fahrt so schnell ihr könnt, so lange ihr noch könnt!
(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Babsch
TR1 Board Senior Member

Bike: XV920se, TR1 Umbau, TR1
Reply #3 - 03.05.20 at 12:48:20

Hi Kevin,
I‘m riding my TR without that bolt for about 10 years.
I think you can ignore it.
greets babsch

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Ali
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Bike: TR 1
Reply #4 - 03.05.20 at 13:58:19

Hi Kevin,
i know some people ride witout that bolt a long time.
I would fix it. Especially when the Bike is on the Mainstand, with some luggage, and when the Rider sits on it to start, (i often saw that),
the lower swingarm frame / the bolts are really stressed.
I took off the lower (swingarm-bearing) frame piece, and put some heli-coil repair threads (10x1,25) into all 3 bores.
Engine - with some piece of wood underneath- and mainframe /rearframe don´t have to be removed, only the Swingarm and the lower frame
Hope to see you this year,
Ali

Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Reply #5 - 05.05.20 at 16:47:20

Hello All

I have been riding without the bolt for three years so thought it was time I fixed it. Anyway with the Coronavirus about I have nothing better to do!!

I tried George's method of using a little tube and an 8mm drill bit. It would have saved me a lot of time if it worked but it didn't. The bolt end was very tight in its hole.

So I had to remove the lower frame. I have a small hydraulic bike lift which works very well. I could see I had drilled part way through the bolt but it was tight in the hole. The bolt goes through the hole and leaves about 5mm the other side. I was able to put a pair of mole grips on the bolt and wind it through. I didn't have to drill and tap it.

I am now cleaning things up and assembling again.

Thank you all for the advice. Please see photo's. (Sorry they are out of focus but you will get the idea.)

Kevin

image001_001.jpg   image003_001.jpg   image004_001.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

image001_001.jpg
image003_001.jpg
image004_001.jpg

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Reply #6 - 23.05.20 at 18:28:43

It's all done. Thank you for your help.

Kevin

Image005.jpg     Picture below may be scaled. Click link or picture for original size Click here for all attachments  

Image005.jpg

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
dencol
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 26.05.20 at 13:11:11

Hi.. I have two of these TR1 and both came with the bolt broken.
Its caused by the drive chain being too tight when set by the book.
I set the chain adjustment off the stands loaded with rider and luggage.

Top of page
  IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Reply #8 - 27.05.20 at 20:30:14

Hello

That fits. Prior to the bolt breaking I had to replace the chain. The symptoms were that when  the rear wheel was rotated it tightened and went slack as it went around. Brian New, a friend of mine, said that's a sure sign of the chain being stretched. I replaced the chain and the problem went away. Thank you Brian.

He didn't tell me the bolt was likely to break!!

Regards
Kevin

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print