Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
27.07.24 at 06:54:27
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
[Buying a Used] - Things to look for. (Read 4201 times)
Anja-D
TR1 Board Senior Member

carpe diem

Bike: 1981 TR1. (5A8), modified with XV1100 (3LP) Eng.
Re: [Buying a Used] - Things to look for.
Reply #10 - 23.01.23 at 20:51:52

Hello Evros,
low Milage is relative. Much more important is, how the operating and maintenace of the Bike was.
What I mean is:
There are more long distance rides or more short trips or was it used to ride to the grocery or baker a.s.o. in the history of the Bike.
Was the Mainenance done correctely , with competence or more than a driver made => only the neccessary<= job.
Was there an oil Change with filter regualry done?

If the Owner / Driver is a person which runs the bike until something cracks or is it a person who repairs it when problems starts to begin?
A good idea is to let the Owner drive his/her bike. Then you can see how he/she rides it and you get an impression how it was treated in the past.

14t miles =>22500 km it is OK so far. Evros, have a look for the general conditions of the Bike. Milage is not all.

I have attached a pic of my bike, January 2023, 27200 Km (168944 Miles) age of 40 Years. Regular Maintenace, tech. Checks a.s.o.  have renewed it 2016 with a conversion with a XV1100 Engine after the original XV1000 Engine had a serious Damage at 262000Km (162732 Mils).
Do you see, 14t Miles is just run in. All depence on how you treat a Bike. Trips of 2500 Km Roundtrip are no problem.

Regards
Anja

MRD_TR1-1_2023_Jan_3.JPG     Picture below may be scaled. Click link or picture for original size Click here for all attachments  

MRD_TR1-1_2023_Jan_3.JPG

TR1 seit 1982, die aktuelle seit 1988, schraube und fahre selbst
Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Bike: xv250
Reply #11 - 24.01.23 at 19:51:52

Anja, this is a great example and reasonable advice. 270k is phenomenal on any vehicle.

I know what you mean about owners and regular/proper maintenance.

I don't think that I am going to be able to even test ride it or even inspect it before purchasing. I might take the plunge and do it all remotely.

I have found one in the UK sold at a store, and is the one with 14k miles I was on about. The price is a bit steep though and I will try ringing them up for a final price.

Evros

Top of page
Anja-D
TR1 Board Senior Member

carpe diem

Bike: 1981 TR1. (5A8), modified with XV1100 (3LP) Eng.
Reply #12 - 25.01.23 at 15:09:20

Hello Evros,
if you want to purchaise a bike far far away from your home, try to contact TR1 Owners with a little bit more experience then regular knowledges about a TR1.
Perhaps such a Contact Person is able to get a personnel look at such a bike you are interested in.

Another Idea could be, to ask the seller to make a video of compression test  => live on video, and he shall run the Bike so you can get a more realistic Impession of the Subject.

Perhaps you can find here at TR1 Forum a person who can assist you, if you want to buy a bike in Germany.  
Do you have seen the register tac " Mitgliederkarte" on this Side?

Good Luck to You in purchaising a, your Own, TR1 in good shape.

Regards
Anja
(Suzuki GT250 Ram Air `73, SR500 `79, XS500 `78, XS2 (later renamed XS650) `72, TR1 `81, XV750SE `82, XJ650 4K0 `83, TR1 `81)

TR1 seit 1982, die aktuelle seit 1988, schraube und fahre selbst
Top of page
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #13 - 26.01.23 at 19:58:19

Hi Anja,

Thank you again for your response and for your ideas.

I have the membercard in mind thanks for mentioning.

The next one that I can find  I will try and find the closest member and ask them nicely. If they want me to pay for their service I will do so.

Hope to speak again.

Best regards,
Evros

Top of page
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #14 - 16.02.23 at 06:51:32

Hello all,

Hope all are doing all right.

I would like to ask your opinion on the following two examples:

1. https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/yamaha-xv-1000-tr1/2307570713-305-1436
2. https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/yamaha-xv1000-tr1-klassiker-oldtimer-neu-tuev/2356793874-305-3032

There are also others that have replied my messages but are not fluent in English and won't understand what I am saying.

Regards,
Evros

Top of page
Kroete
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 16.02.23 at 08:42:16

Hello Evros,

the first was offered for a longer time with a price of 4.999. Around two months ago he decided to lower the price. Seems to be a clean bike. Custom mirrors, blinkers and tail light, seat and fender (fixed). Chrome of the front exhaust pipe seems not to be very nice. But with that few kilometers it should be not a bad deal. Although the price is not the cheapest. Depends on what you are willing to spend.

The mentioned cardan drive is obviously not true. But he says all parts are in a good cared state. There shouldn't be any surprises.

The second is cheaper and although he says that the bike is in quite original state it isnt. Light gray is used for some aluminum parts like the rims. Drilled rotors, new painted side cover. Front blinker and tail light, fenders of other Yamahas or bought parts.

In comparison the prices have their good reasons. I would have more confidence in the first one. But what can fotos say?
Talking with the sellers can give you an additional feeling for the bikes and their history and state.

« Last Edit: 16.02.23 at 14:39:15 by Kroete »  
Top of page
  IP Logged
hornschorsch
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Bike: TR1, SR500, XJ650-Turbo, RD350-YPVS, R[DG]500
Reply #16 - 16.02.23 at 14:26:59

The first one looks much better to me. You just have to mount a new, black, seat-cover and possibly mount a pair of BT46 tires. The mileage could also be 138.000 km after 40 years, but that wouldnt matter. Fit the larger oilpump from the 1100 and drill up the lower banjo bolt that holds the oil lines to the heads and it will run another 100.000 km...

The second one is quite ugly with its non-green color, footrests, gray painted rims, ugly taillight and so on...

Gruss,
Schorsch

Fahrt so schnell ihr könnt, so lange ihr noch könnt!
(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #17 - 16.02.23 at 20:08:29

Hello guys,

Thank you for your input. It is taken under consideration.

These two sellers are the only ones that consistently returned my emails. I also do not like the fact that both of these are not in original condition.

The mileage is always to be questioned.

I have been watching these two for a couple of months and the prices have been dropping consistently.

I guess I will have to wait and see. There are others but no one will respond.

There is a local FZR1000 (20 valve) on for sale locally but I am not yet willing to give up on a TR1.

Regards,
Evros

Top of page
Kroete
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 16.02.23 at 21:13:58

A very nice and sophisticated bike too, but I prefer simple maintenance and long lasting use with little costs for parts and fuel.

Top of page
  IP Logged
Evripidis
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #19 - 16.02.23 at 21:26:58

Quote from Kroete on 16.02.23 at 21:13:58:
A very nice and sophisticated bike too, but I prefer simple maintenance and long lasting use with little costs for parts and fuel.

Exactly why I haven't changed my mind yet against a tr1.

Top of page
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print