Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
27.07.24 at 16:40:16
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LED Indicators (Read 1069 times)
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Bike: TR1 & Vincent Rapide
LED Indicators
29.03.23 at 18:04:41

Hello Everyone

I am trying to replace my ugly amber indicators with something smaller. I could not find small LED indicators that I thought were suitable. So, I purchased small indicators with normal bulbs and fitted LED bulbs to them, I can connect them to a battery and they work, There is no polarity issue they work connected either way to a battery.
I fitted them to the bike and they do not work. So, I fitted a load independent relay. This should work , it didn't. I had purchased a cheap relay from eBay so thought it might be that. I purchased another, more expensive, load independent relay and that didn't work either.
I have simplified things by creating a rig on my workbench with a battery the relay and the two indicators. This doesn't work either. If I take the relay out of the circuit the two LED indicators will light up. If I connect the load independent relay they don't.
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Kevin

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Anja-D
TR1 Board Senior Member

carpe diem

Bike: 1981 TR1. (5A8), modified with XV1100 (3LP) Eng.
Re: LED Indicators
Reply #1 - 30.03.23 at 03:18:29

Good morning kdemery,
on my Bike I used LED Bulbs in the Original Housing.
To yours:
a) you will need an additinal electronic Flasher Relay
b) check the two cables which come towards your Flasher Housing.
b.1) the minus current shout be on the bulb socket and the plus current on the middle contact
b.2) if it is not so, change the Cables
c) remove the wire connectors from the OEM Flasher Relay, carefully by push down the arresting of the metall connectors inside the the Plug housing
c.1 after removing the cables from the OEM Relay Plug reconneced the connectors to the Terminals of your electronic Flasher Relay  according the needs of your electonic Flasher Relay. See pics
Unfortunately, I have my description how to install LED in your eletroc system only in German language, see attached pics.

Note: LEDs are like " this way only", so, if the current come from the wrong direction, your LED will not work.

If there any further question, do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards Anja

LED_Flasher_2.jpg   LED_Flasher_3.jpg   tr1-1-adr-981-011-2-0_001.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

LED_Flasher_2.jpg
LED_Flasher_3.jpg
tr1-1-adr-981-011-2-0_001.jpg

TR1 seit 1982, die aktuelle seit 1988, schraube und fahre selbst
Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
hornschorsch
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Bike: TR1, SR500, XJ650-Turbo, RD350-YPVS, R[DG]500
Reply #2 - 30.03.23 at 12:49:37

Hi Kevin,

Quote:
If I take the relay out of the circuit the two LED indicators will light up. If I connect the load independent relay they don't.

Hm, that sounds weird. If you connected everything correctly, i would say the relay is broken. That would not be the first time that the newest thing on a bike is defect...

Does the new relay work with the old "normal" light bulbs?

« Last Edit: 30.03.23 at 15:52:04 by hornschorsch »  

Gruss,
Schorsch

Fahrt so schnell ihr könnt, so lange ihr noch könnt!
(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Reply #3 - 30.03.23 at 18:39:01

Hello

George: I took the relay out and checked the contacts, they are marked the same. I put the new relay in and it does not work. (That is on the bike with the original amber indicators.) I put the other new relay in and that does not work either. So these load independent relays do not appear to work on the existing wiring. What relay should I be using?

Anja: Thank you for posting the circuit diagram. I will get the text translated and study it.
Anja: You say 'LEDs are like " this way only"' Mine are not. I know they are Light Emitting DIODES which should be one way but mine do not work like that. Please see the photos below. The first image clearly shows it is an LED bulb, but look at the contacts on the barrel. They are directly opposite each other so these can be fitted either way around in the bulb holder. It wouldn't be like this if they were one way. Also see the next two photos with the LED illuminated. You will notice that the positive wire is on the barrel then on the end contact. These clearly work wired both ways.

Regards
Kevin

image001_004.jpg   image002_002.jpg   image003_002.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  
« Last Edit: 30.03.23 at 19:46:02 by kdemery »  

image001_004.jpg
image002_002.jpg
image003_002.jpg

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
hornschorsch

Reply #4 - 30.03.23 at 19:47:53

Again my question: Does the new relay work with the old "normal" light bulbs?

Your LED "bulbs" seem to have some electronic that reverses the polarity if it is wrong, perhaps that confuses the relay?

Gruss,
Schorsch

(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
Triwinger
TR1 Board Junior Member

Reply #5 - 30.03.23 at 20:32:25

Hi Kevin, hi all,

shortly ago I began to install a 12 V lighting system in my little two-stroke bike (Honda MT8). Formerly, Honda had installed a 6 V system only. And as the indicators had been nearly invisible within that low voltage system, I thought that a transformation to 12 V would be great - including LED indicator lights of course.

But when I ordered a load independent relay for the LED lights, I had to learn that those relays need a minimum load (of e. g. 10 W). So if you use two LED indicator bulbs (2 x 1.6 W) and a conventional control light bulb in the control panel (another 3...4 W), that would be less than the 10 W minimum that some relays want to get. Later, I found another load independent relay that has a minimum load of 1 W only. So, Kevin, you could check what the minimum appetite of your two relays is.

Good luck for fixing/tuning your bike Wink.

Triwinger

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
kdemery
TR1 Board Senior Member

Reply #6 - 30.03.23 at 21:18:59

George: Neither of the two load independent relays work with 'normal' bulbs

Tr1winger: Thanks for your support. I will look into the minimum load.

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
hornschorsch

Reply #7 - 31.03.23 at 11:21:00

Quote:
Neither of the two load independent relays work with 'normal' bulbs

Then the "not reached minimal load" can not be the cause in my opinion.

Gruss,
Schorsch

(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
Anja-D
TR1 Board Senior Member

carpe diem

Bike: 1981 TR1. (5A8), modified with XV1100 (3LP) Eng.
Reply #8 - 01.04.23 at 10:35:56

hello kdemery, hello to the community,

perhaps, the polartity of the electonic Relay is wrong.

At the Rocket III of my Husband, we had to learn, that there are some different Types on the market. After finding out the correct Type anything went well and the modification was done in short time.

I have enclosed some examples for illustration. Notice the adjustable Relay. Perhaps an alternative Solution.
But in the End the Relay has to be fitted to the Tr1 Wireharness.
A nice Sunday to all

Anja

Electr_Relay_adjustable-.jpg   Electr_Relay_polarity_-_.jpg   Electr_Relay_polarity__-.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

Electr_Relay_adjustable-.jpg
Electr_Relay_polarity_-_.jpg
Electr_Relay_polarity__-.jpg

TR1 seit 1982, die aktuelle seit 1988, schraube und fahre selbst
Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
hornschorsch

Reply #9 - 11.04.23 at 09:54:35

Quote from kdemery on 29.03.23 at 18:04:41:
I have simplified things by creating a rig on my workbench with a battery the relay and the two indicators.

Just to be absolutely sure that your testbed is built up correctly: Does it work with the original relay and the original light bulbs?

Gruss,
Schorsch

(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print