Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
19.05.24 at 17:53:13
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Nochmal dellorto PHM40... (Read 14275 times)
Loekm
TR1 Board Newbie

Egli Tr1

Bike: Egli frame Tr1 engine track only
Nochmal dellorto PHM40...
04.01.17 at 22:49:06

Einen gutenabend allen!

Sorry for writing in english... reading german is no problem. writing is a little different Wink

So as the title already says. I've got a question on the Dellorto's. I found a lot of very good info on the carbs. And you guys all seem to run the carbs WITH acceleration pumps.... And I assume for a reason... The Dutch company that will deliver the carbs asked me the question if I really need the acceleration pumps?!?

They will be installed on a standard engine except carbs and exhaust.... And the bike that the engine is in will be track use only.

So what's the difference? I understand that the pumps deliver an extra puff of fuel on opening the throttle suddenly. But is the bike undriveable  without the pumps? or do I only have to be more "delicate" on opening the throttle?

Other popular racing carbs (like keihin CR special) are not equiped with the pumps and work really well but are maybe more delicate to drive/race. And often mounted on a 4 cylinder bike....

So decisions decisions Grin

All opinions are welcome off course Wink

Viele Grusse,

Loek

PS: the bike looks like this Smiley

EGLI_tr1_1.jpg     Picture below may be scaled. Click link or picture for original size Click here for all attachments  

EGLI_tr1_1.jpg

Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Ali
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Bike: TR 1
Re: Nochmal dellorto PHM40...
Reply #1 - 05.01.17 at 21:31:42

Hello Loek,
i use Dellortos with a pump, so i can not tell what it is like to have non. But i think while accelerating from lower revs the mixture can get very  lean for a moment when you pull the throttle full, especially with singles or big Twins. This might be no problem, if you be "delicate". So the bike is surely driveable, but: it´s more fun with the Pumps, and maybe you don´t want that guy next to you on track to be much faster out of the corner,
Ali

Top of page
Loekm
TR1 Board Newbie

Egli Tr1

Reply #2 - 05.01.17 at 22:26:27

Hello Ali,

Your last sentence makes a lot of sense Wink Thanks for the reply. I hope someone here has some comparison between dellorto's with or without the accelerator pumps.

Regards,

Loek

Top of page
nanno

Ich mags halt gern
ned ganz so
original...

Bike: TR1, XT600, SR500-Gespann
Reply #3 - 05.01.17 at 23:21:16

Unfortunately I don't have a comparison on TR1s (I run Mikuni VM38s without an accelerator pump on mine), but I do quite a bit of work on Guzzis, both with and without accelerator pump. As Ali said, you have to be more delicate and roll open the throttle and can't just crack it open. You can counter this a bit by running a richer pilot and needle setting, but this will of course have other side-effects, most notably from a racing perspective: The bike feels a lot less "snappy".

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea.
Greg

Frei ist, wer frei denkt!

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at/
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Loekm
TR1 Board Newbie

Egli Tr1

Reply #4 - 06.01.17 at 11:06:50

Hallo Nanno,

Thanx for your addidtion. I'm leaning towards the pumps more and more. The comparison with the CR's goes a bit wrong in terms of big twin versus in line 4's I think. And ease of use in a 4h endurance race might be handy as well Grin

Is anyone from here attempting the 4h endurance in Oschersleben in may 2017?

Best regards,

Loek

Top of page
RalfR
TR1 Board Newbie

Bike: TR1, UNO-Ducati 1100, CB77,CB 93, CB450K
Reply #5 - 09.01.17 at 21:33:10

Hi Loek,

I think that Ali is perfectly right. Big singles and twins need some more time to rev up from low revs (idle and little above that range) and the mixture might get lean when opening the throttle immediatly.
The accelerator pump should rich up the mixture in that phase. But once  the engine has reached its maximum torque and revs further to the limit, the main jet and the needle jet should control the mixture.
When you only drive on closed tracks you will mainly use the middle and high revs of the range which means, that you do not need the accelerator pumps.
I have tested it in Oschersleben with a big Honda 650 single and get the best throttle repsonse from a well set Mikuni TM40 without pump.
If you need the pumps to get out of a curve you should better change down a gear.

Just simply test it on the track by removing the actuator lever inside the slide cover. An easy job with Dellortos.

I am just also fitting a set of new Dellortos to my TR1 engine, together with some other modification. But mainly for road use......and therefore I start with pumps and will see what happen.....

Do you have a picture from your bike in a side view?

I have also tried  -just for fun-  to fit the TR1 engine in a single cylinder Egli Frame, but ist too tiny.  A SR500 will fit easily......

The second pictures shows my work on the TR1 so far.....

TR1_Egli_Es1C.jpg   TR1-Dellorto.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

TR1_Egli_Es1C.jpg
TR1-Dellorto.jpg

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Loekm
TR1 Board Newbie

Egli Tr1

Reply #6 - 10.01.17 at 08:29:56

Hi Ralph,

Wow your work on the tr1 looks very nice! Nice EGLI frame as well Smiley what kind of engine is it originally built for?

Thank you very much for your explanation!! this realy helps! The company that will deliver the dellorto's indeed asked me the question on the pumps because of the track use only. The guy himself runs a supermono with carbs without pumps...

There's a lot of pictures of the build of my bike on the net if you're interested. I wrote a thread on "do the ton" http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32065.0
But not all the pictures are working...

And there's a built thread on a dutch forum... difficult to read, but way more pictues Smiley  http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/319864/Eigenbouw-EGLI-TR1-1.html

Best regards,

Loek

Top of page
RalfR
TR1 Board Newbie

Bike: TR1, UNO-Ducati 1100, CB77,CB 93, CB450K
Reply #7 - 11.01.17 at 13:59:24

Hi Loek,

I have been gone through your dutch blog, very impressive work you have done !
Are you a professional for milling and turning work or do you have a well equiped "hobbyiest" garage?

My Egli frame and bike is made for early eighties supermono singles like SR500 or Honda XBR500. It is the only Egli frame which is stressfree to the engine. A batch of 32 streetlegal frames have been build between 1982 - 1985.  
To have some more "fun" and grunt I am planning to integrate a Weslake twin engine. I am aiming for 150 kg / 850 ccm / 80 PS.
But thats another story Cool

When installing the Dellortos do not forget to drill a M5 or M6 threads into each inlet port.
You will need them for balancing the carbs with vacuum gauges. The Mikuni manifolds do not have any connector for balancing.

Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Sepp

TRi onli !!!

Bike: Jede Menge TRi's
Reply #8 - 12.01.17 at 20:58:59

When you wanna go racing with the TR1, especially in a endurance race, you need a good power engine.
I think, with the original engine, you have problems to stay inside of the 115% as Beginner by the
classic endurance.com-Serie. A problem is also the oil case under the engine! Its easier to start at classic-endurance.de because
the level is not so high und you have more fun.
I would take a set of 40 or 41 PHM carbs with the pump, because this carbs have new cases and works very good.
Greetings Sepp

Racing is the answer, but I don't remember the question!
Top of page
View Profile   IP Logged
Loekm
TR1 Board Newbie

Egli Tr1

Reply #9 - 13.01.17 at 13:25:24

Hi Sepp,

Thanks for your reply! Is it the PHM40 or PHM41 that has a new version or both? I'll ask the supplier. He is the importer for dellorto in the Netherlands so he should know Wink I'll take the advice on the accelerator pump. It can be easily disconnected at a later stage when we want to. And with future upgrades on the engine... will the 41's be the best option?

Then about the endurance... I didn't know about the classic-endurance.de version... I looked ad the website and found the name of Sascha. The same Sascha as classicendurance.com Huh Whatever, starting in a slightly friendlier version of racing is a very good idea! So thanks for the tip! We'll contact the organisation for sure.

And about the engine... it has standard internals for now. Dellorto's, exhaust and an ignitech are the current upgrades. But then what's next on a standard engine? 750 heads? other camshafts? porting the standard heads? These are my first steps in engine tuning and I Like to be able to do all the work myself. So tips and advice are very welcome Grin

I've got al the (standard yamaha) parts for the XV1100 - TR1 engine combination.... but that will take a while to build, surely not for the coming season. I'm not sure on what pistons to run in that engine? Standard seems good to me, or even the XVS1100 versions?. I'm not very sure on all the american piston makers with their magic numbers Tongue and have no experience in "designing" my own to be custom made...

Best regards,

Loek

Top of page
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print